Friday, November 30, 2007

#22 Audiobooks

I explored some of the titles available on the world ebook fair site. I listened to bits a couple of Edgar Allan Poe works and Edith Wharton's "The Age of Innocence"- I picked these as they were things I had studied in Literature at school. The Poe poem and short story made good listening as they were read by human voices whereas the "The Age of Innocence" was read by a computer voice, which I found really annoying to listen to. I think it is great that there are audio books that you can download for free but the vast majority on the site are read by computer voices, which I would not want to listen to even if they are free.

Talking books are pretty popular in our library with a range of customers. I think the addition of talking books that library members can download onto their MP3 player for a loan period would be a valuable addition to this collection. They might appeal to people who don't currently find talking books convenient, such as commuters who catch public transport and would like to listen to something other than music on their MP3 player.

No comments: